Lyft Driver Requirements
If you're on this page then most likely you are thinking about becoming a Lyft Drvier. Driving for Lyft is fun, easy and profitable but first, let's make sure you understand what the Lyft Driver Requirements are.
Lyft Driver Requirements in a Nutshell
Lyft Driver Age Requirements
- You have to be at least 21 years old with a current, active U.S. driver license
- Your drivesrs license must be active for at least one year
Lyft Driver Background Check
Lyft doesn't allow just anyone to be a driver. You must pass a criminal background check that is performed by a third party. The screeining is for both criminal and vehicle incidents. Background checks include:
- Drug related offenses
- Sexual related offenses
- Violent crime
- Thefts, property damage, etc.
Department of Motor Vehicles Check
To become a Lyft driver, Lyft will perform a DMV check wich you must pass. Lyft will review the results from your DMV recores and if you don't meet the standars of local regulations and Lyft, your application will be denied.
A third-party company works with Lyft to screen applicants records. If you are unfortunate to have any of these red flags you will not be accepted.
- A DUI or other drug-related driving violation in the last seven years
- Driving-related convictions in the last seven years (for example: felonies involving a motor vehicle ilike hit and runs, etc.
- In excess of three moving violations like running a red light or accidents in the past three years
- If your license was suspended or have reckless dtiving - a major moving violation in the past three years
There may be local requirements in addition to those listed here.
License, Registraton and Insurance
Lyft requires you to have current and valid:
- Drivers License
Lyft Driver Vehicle Requirements - Age
Generally speaking your car must be at least a model 2005 year or newer with the following exceptions:
- California, Colorado, Illiniois, Massachusets, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tenessee and Texas your can can be as old as 2004
- Hawaii, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia can be as old as 2002.
Lyft Driver Vehicle Requirements - Functionality
- 4 doors that can be locked or unlocked from the passengers
- Engine, brakes, suspension, steering, etc. must be safe and fully functional.
- Working seat belts, at least 5 in the vehicle and 1 per seat that work properly.
- All lights must be functional and working properly.
- Vehicle must have no dents or body damage
- Tires must have adequate tread
- Windows and mirrors should be free of cracks
- Wipers, horn, ac/heat control must be working properly
- Exhaust must meet your citys standards
This list is accurate as of 11/5/17 and subject to change without notice. It may not be completely accurate at the time you are reading it. In some cases there may be other city, local, county regulations or requirements not listed here. Click the button below to apply to drive for Lyft where you will see the most up to date Lyft driver requirements.